The Pima County Sheriff's Department continually recruits for positions other than Deputy Sheriff and Corrections Officer. Civilian opportunities are varied and include clerical, technical, service/maintenance, and professional positions. Some of these positions require working nights, weekends, and holidays. Civilian personnel play an integral role in dealing with the public and providing support to deputies and corrections officers in law enforcement and community service areas.
All positions with the Pima County Sheriff's Department require satisfactory completion of a background investigation, polygraph, and drug screen. The hiring process is very detailed and may take up to 6-8 weeks to complete.
Please visit the Pima County Human Resources website for a list of available positions. You may also fill out the form in the sidebar to sign up for notifications of civilian positions as they becomes available.
Job Description - Leads and participates in the work of inmate crews providing cleaning, sanitation, general maintenance and landscaping of facilities and grounds in strict accordance with security rules and procedures. This classification is distinguished from all other Custodian classifications by its primary assignment to adult correctional facilities and its participation in inmate security supervision.
Minimum Qualifications - (1) Two years of commercial, institutional or industrial custodial experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
(2) One year of experience with Pima County as a Custodian.
(3) Two years of experience in the direct supervision of unskilled or semi-skilled workers or laborers engaged in grounds or facilities maintenance or custodial activity.
Job Description - Receives, collects, preserves, stores, and maintains chain-of-custody of property and evidence collected or received from officers, investigators or technicians.
Minimum Qualifications - Two years of experience as a storekeeper, warehouse worker or inventory control clerk.
Job Description - Works with specific customer segments of the Pima County Information Technology (IT) Department or other department/work unit approved by the County Administrator to define business requirements and implement business systems by developing project scopes, formulating pilot system efforts and defining associated costs/benefits. This classification is distinguished from the ITD Applications Engineer classification by its focus on defining customer needs through business and systems analysis processes in addition to performing application development activities.
Minimum Qualifications - (1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment, and four years of work experience in software development and maintenance.
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment, and six years work experience in IT software development and maintenance.
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical trade school may be substituted.)
Job Description - Receives, issues, inventories and stores supplies, materials and equipment. Performs various processing tasks and manual duties requiring familiarity with the supply and/or property operations. Some positions perform duties in law enforcement or corrections environments and may include daily contact with inmates. Some positions may perform duties in a medical setting and be required to order, handle, store, and deliver hazardous materials.
Minimum Qualifications - (1) Two years of experience in receipt, inventorying and distribution of supplies, materials, property and/or equipment.
(2) One year of experience with Pima County as a Supply Technician, Supply Processing and Distribution Technician I or Supply, Processing and Distribution Technician.
How to Apply:
Please reference the Job Title and Job number when applying for the interested position.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- At least 18 years of age (at time of hire)
- Be of excellent character
- U.S. Citizen or Alien Work Permit
- Satisfactory completion of a background investigation
- Must be willing to work rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays
- No marijuana usage within one year of date of hire